Tuesday, 29 April 2014

"Holy Cosmic Coincidences Batman!"


 GLOPSH9Z ZORT (now 42) still looks stunning today.

After dropping out of a PGCE teacher training course I moved back in with my parents in Wellingborough in late 1992 and stayed for just over 3 years or so. Whilst back at the family home I began cartooning for no other reason than I was unemployed, had no idea what to do with my life, was probably a bit on the depressed side, was certainly bored and I had nothing better to do. Nothing better to do except job-hunting I should say, which was then one of my least favourite tasks but I still somehow managed to find a good job working in the print room for the local constabulary, meaning that I could print my comics exactly the way I wanted them and for very low rates. Back in those days I was even more self-disciplined and hard-working than I am today and I used to sit at my desk in my bedroom for hours and hours working away on my cartoons and comic strips whilst listening to Radio 1 right into the early hours of the morning. My favourite show was 'The Graveyard Shift' with Mark Radcliffe and Mark 'The Boy Lard'  Riley which was on between 10pm and midnight, preceded by John Peel and then followed by Andy Kershaw if I am not mistaken. I used to listen to those shows religiously whilst cartooning, especially Mark and Lard who never failed to crack me up and play loads of excellent music (as they continue to do to this very day, although separately on their excellent respective BBC 6 Music shows). One of the regular features on Mark and Lard's show was 'Cult Book Corner' where an author would come on the show and do a reading from their (cult) book. One evening, probably in late 1994 or early 1995, I was sitting at the desk in my bedroom inking the above 'Page Three Alien' cartoon for my, still available and well worth two of your quids, mini-comic 'The House of Hatch'. As I was inking the word 'hermaphrodite' in the above cartoon, the word 'hermaphrodite' was said on the radio at exactly the same time by none other than Adam West. Adam West is of course Batman. He was on Mark and Lard's show doing a reading from his autobiography 'Back to the Batcave' for the 'Cult Book Corner' feature. True story. I wonder what Carl Jung would've made of that one?

No comments:

Post a Comment